- Aluminum Tailpiece with mounting studs & anchors
- Made in the USA - not a Genuine Gibson® part
- Lightweight vintage design - weight is about 1.2 oz.
- Chrome plated aluminum alloy
- Includes mounting chrome plated brass studs(SAE 5/16 - 24) and zinc plated steel bushings
- Tailpiece ear thickness is .290"(7.4mm)
The aluminum tailpieces weight 1/4 that of the zinc and produce a much different sound. They transfer vibrations differently, resulting in a woodier, more airy vintage tone - richer, rounder mids but with more upper harmonics as well. Back in the '50s, Gibson® used aluminum for their stop bar tailpieces. For whatever reason, they switched to zinc, which is still used today on all but the historic line.
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I paired this with the chrome plated steel TOM bridge for my 2013 Signature T Les Paul. It was a great sounding guitar but the tailpiece and bridge combo really lifted the sound- not at all bright, lots more acoustic and electric volume, guitar more alive (vibrating more against my body) more everything, fat yet detailed sound. A little heads-up? Put 5/6" stainless or chrome under the tailpiece studs to get the right height to really lock the tailpiece into the body- a serious tonal update all round!